Monday, June 15, 2009

SUNSCREEN RECOMMENDATIONS

As a practicing esthetician I’ve heard a lot of excuses for not using sunscreen. Following is a list of sun protection products recommended in a recent article of PREVENTION Magazine.

I have acne and sunscreen causes breakouts…..Try using a non-oily product like Coppertone Nutrashield Faces 70+ about $10.50 at drugstores. It’s formulated so it does not clog pores

I am unable to reapply over makeup…..Try using a tinted mineral sunscreen like BareMinerals SPF 30, which casts about $28 at their website. It’s ideal for touchups throughout day and has an added benefit of providing luminosity to your makeup.

I have sensitive skin and sunscreen is irritating. Try using sun block instead since titanium oxide or zinc oxide rarely upset sensitive skin and less likely to aggravate redness from Rosacea.

I perspire while exercising outdoors. Try using sunscreen labeled as very water resistant. Banana Boat UltraMist Sport Performance Spray SPF 85 costs about $10.50 at drugstores is a good product. It sprays on clear, doesn’t need to be rubbed in and has a nozzle that works from any angle.

Sunscreen leaves my face shiny. Try using La Roches-Posay Anthelios 60 Ultra Light Sunscreen for Face…about $27.50 at drugstores…absorbs quickly and dries to matte finish. Since it’s also moisturizing, you can skip that step of your morning cleansing routine

I already have lots of sun damage so why should I start using protection now. Daily sunscreen use reduces damage and allows skin to repair itself. You can protect your skin and boost its natural repair abilities with NIA 24 Sun Damage Prevention 100% Mineral Sunscreen SPF 30. It contains Pro-Niacin a form of Vit B3 that helps improve skin hydration and minimizes dark spots.

While I have not tried any of the above, I trust the recommendations of this magazine.

I have used the line of sunscreen products sold by Dermalogica with good results. More important my clients report being happy, too. Dermalogica has about 12 different sun protection products including wipes for use while traveling and a spray that dries on contact. In addition, these products do not have an annoying odor. While they cost more than something available at a drugstore. They are well tested and formulated. You can find Dermalogica products at your local spa or beauty salon.

No comments: